COFFEE AT HOME
For the domestic Revive customer we highly recommend purchasing your coffee weekly and in small quantities.
Always grind your beans just prior to brewing. We recommend the use of a burr grinder, this will ensure identical coffee particle size avoiding over/under extraction
Buying and Storage
- Always store your coffee in cool dark conditions in an airtight container. Do not store in the fridge or freezer.
- Avoid purchasing coffee in paper bags. They are not airtight and will dry the beans out prematurely.
Our airtight, one way valve bags are ideal for storage and are zip lockable to maximize the freshness of the beans.
- A medium to coarse grind of similar consistency to white sugar is recommended.
- For a 1litre plunger, add 4-5 heaped table spoons depending on how strong you like it.
- Ensure water is not at boiling point when adding to ground coffee. This will burn the coffee.
- Always pre-heat both cups and plunger.
- Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes, any longer and over extraction will begin to occur making the coffee sharp and bitter.
- Creating quality espresso is an exact science. There are several dozen variables in the espresso making process which lead to the perfect cup.
- First and foremost, besides fresh coffee, is a quality Italian espresso machine and grinder. Please note we are not referring to the home appliance brands found in chain stores.
- The first step in creating quality espresso is to have the correct flow rate of coffee coming through the head of the espresso machine. This is achieved by having the grind setting, dosing and tamping of coffee aligned. The flow rate for a double shot of espresso (approx 50ml) should be approx 25 – 30 seconds . One should be looking for a slow, thick viscous pour and the crema should be dark caramel in colour and dense.
- For milk based espresso drinks the desired texture should be smooth and creamy with a sheen on the surface. The temperature should be at a level where one can briefly touch the jug. Ensure you do not burn the milk!
- We will shortly be posting a downloadable step by step guide on how to make perfect espresso coffee.